Wednesday, June 10, 2015

One Hundred Days art project Day 1-5

This summer, the Round Rock Area Arts Council created The Round Rock 100 Project. Participants are asked to create art or do another project for 100 days, and then submit the results for an exhibition. I have chosen to make 100 fractal paintings.  

My mom has been making fractal art for many years. I would see her beautiful pictures on Facebook but I thought it was too difficult to try. Then I visited my mom. We would stay up past midnight talking while she made fractals on the computer using a program called Jwildfire. I tried it, and it wasn't as hard as I thought it would be. I joined a group on Facebook to share my pictures, and now I'm addicted!

The Round Rock 100 Project was supposed to start on June 8th, but the arts council changed it so that everyone wouldn't have to start on exactly the same day. I started on June 2, and here is my journal and creations from the first 5 days.


June 2- I finished one fractal I started yesterday, and then made another one. I kept adding more layers and changing the angles. The second one looks like hearts and arrows, so I called it HeartWheel (reminds me of cartwheel). They both use several layers and have a lot of pink colors. I posted them to Facebook as a set titled “Something different for today....”.











June 3- Oh no! I have already missed a day of saving pictures. I spent most of the day away from the computer, cleaning out my Mother-in-Law’s apartment. We found her photo printer, and G. says he will try to print out a fractal if it works. I am trying to figure out how to print out all the photos at the end of the one hundred days, so that will count as today’s part of the project. 

June 4- I started from a batch of random fractals and then tweaked them. They are both groups of bubbles, stretched with zcone to make them look 3D. The first one is viewed at 41 degrees and then has a bokeh blur effect. It reminds me of what it looks like when you drop food coloring into water, so I named it DyeDrops. The second one is viewed at 25 degrees, and stretching with zcone made the outer bubbles look pointed. It looks exactly like a sunflower. 
At the end of the day, G. decided he wanted to try out the photo printer. After about 20 paper jams, we finally got a postcard-sized copy of Sunflower to print. He also made his own version in blues and printed that. He stayed up until midnight working on it. Finally, he put them in an envelope to give to two of his teachers on the last day of school. The photo printer added a date and picture number, so we’ll have to find a way to add a signature instead. The photo quality seems good, not grainy at all like the black and white laser printer, so maybe a place that does digital photo printing would be a good choice to print things at the end of the hundred days.
 








 June 5- Echoes- Today, I tried making a few more variations of the sunflower design, but I wasn’t happy with any of them. Then I tried making an elaborate pattern with a crackled effect, but I didn’t like that either. Finally, I mixed some cylinders with a rainbow bubble effect. With the white background, it would probably print well.


June 6- JuliaScene #9- More experiments with rainbow bubbles, julia’d into a circle. I saved a few, but noticed later that the edges were cut off G. took one and adapted it to be a picture frame to add to his selfie to give to Grandma. The printer said it was an unrecognized jpeg, so he couldn’t print it. Late at night, I started a new series, mixing sphere and Julia with interesting patterns and purple colors. 





 


No comments:

Post a Comment