Tuesday, April 19, 2016

Fiber Arts Exhibit

The Wedding Couple is a piece I have in the Fiber Arts exhibit at ArtSpace in Round Rock. This was a great opportunity to show off my inkle weaving, and to network with other local fiber artists.
For this piece, I used four types of yarn- a dark brown fake wool, a coffee-colored acrylic, a variegated cream-colored cotton, and a stiffer, rope-like cotton. I wove two narrow bands on the inkle loom, and then sewed them together into a wider band. I couldn't bear to cut the wide band, so I folded it back on itself. Even the folded pocket at the bottom that reminds me of a fortune cookie is part of the continuous piece. I used the stiffer cotton to add surface ornamentation. Some knots were added as I wove, and some were added afterwards. You probably can't tell which are which, but if I had to do it over, I would do them all afterwards. There are Josephine knots, barrel knots, crochet, and tatting. To finish it off, I added a canvas backing, and then inserted a wood and wire framework to help it keep its shape.

A conversation with my mother inspired the title. I think it was the "rolled collar" and "corsage" that made her think of a bride and groom.


The Wedding Couple

No comments:

Post a Comment